Re: Custom driver image for etch

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Paul Civati wrote:
> I could build a custom installer/kernel, but I'd really like
> to only install the driver module so that the system can still
> make use of the standard updated kernels.  Presuming that any
> apt upgraded kernels would not wipe out my custom driver.
>
> I see the debian-installer will load a driver image if I want,
> but I can't find anywhere that says how to go about creating
> one.

Basically you need to build your driver module against the kernel headers
for the same kernel the installer uses (which is the -486 flavor of the
i386 kernel) and make sure the ABI matches.
So, if 'uname -a' in the installer gives you 2.6.18-6-486, you need to build
your module against linux-headers-2.6.18-6-486.

You can then just copy that module into the correct place under /lib/modules
in the installer, run 'depmod -a' and 'modprobe <module>'.

Note that you will also need to build the module for the kernel flavor you
intend to install for the target system and then before you reboot the
system copy that into /target/lib/modules and chroot into /target to run
depmod -a and update the initrd.

Cheers,
FJP