Re: cannot set a size to lvm partition (size 0 is invalid)

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> I set the raid 5 partition as a lvm group and not I am trying to
> create lvm partition for my home at 1450GB. I keep getting the error
> that partition size 0 cannot be created.

Could you please file a bug report against partman-lvm for this issue?

> Here is a syslog.
> I don't know why but when I want to create lvm volume:
> 1497303MB is my initial setting.
> I can just hit enter to 1497303MB and it will take it.
>
> But if I pick 1457303MB I get an error.

That's certainly strange. Could possibly have to do with rounding functions.

> What is going on with these numbers. syslog tells  me that 1.36 TB is
> only available? Shouldn't that be 1.4xx TB?

There is some confusion inside partman and between partman and other tools
about how disk sizes are presented. Disk capacity is usually given as a
power of 10, while other sizes are in multiples of bytes (power of 2).
So 40MB can be either 40.000.000 bytes or 41.943.040 (40*1024*1024).

> Can somebody explain why I cannot create my 1.45 tb and rest as swap
> partitions?

A solution could be to create the swap first at the required size.

> Also why sys log tells me I have 1.36 even do other
> screens tell me that my lvm group holds 1.5tb?

See above.

> I tried both. installgui and install when setting these up.

That should not make any difference.

Could you run a new installation and, before partman is started, add a
line 'set -x' near the top of /lib/partman/definitions.sh?
That will give a huge amount of debugging output in the syslog, but should
tell us exactly where the error comes from when you reproduce it.

Please attach the syslog (gzipped) to your bug report.

Cheers,
FJP