Re: [RFC] Adding udebs in shlibs files for glibc

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Symbols files are not used for udebs. So they won't affect dependencies
> > of udebs.
>
> Not that I don't trust you about this, but just to make sure...
>
> Do symbol files affect the way shlibs files are generated, or will those
> remain unchanged?

Those remain unchanged (unless the maintainer decide to change the way
they are generated...). It's possible that some maintainers care less about
shlibs once they added support of symbols files... they could decide to
use dh_makeshlibs -V instead of providing the minimal version that should
be needed.

> If shlibs files are changed, then I think the impact on udebs should be
> verified. Or have you already tested this specifically?

I haven't made any extra-test for udebs, however in the dpkg-shlibdeps
code, symbols files are only looked up if ($package_type eq "deb"). So
if dpkg-shlibdeps has the "-tudeb" parameter, the dependency generation
should remain unchanged.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog