Re: [RFC] No longer create full set of static devices during install

Frans Pop wrote:
> The create_devices function in base-installer has been simplified a lot
> because it no longer actually has to create any device nodes anymore.
> It now takes care of the bind mount to /target/dev and does some apt-install
> calls for RAID, LVM and crypto installs.
> (Suggestions for a better name for this function welcome!)

setup_dev

> Are there still any arches that don't use udev for default installs?

On arm, ads_cf doesn't currently use udev in d-i, but I'm probably going
to change that, and ads_cf shouldn't hold up any ongoing progress in d-i
anyway. AFAIK that's the last user of userdevfs.

> +	mkdir -p /dev/.static/dev

/dev/static is supposed to be mode 700. udev will currently fix up
the existing permissions when it's installed, but to avoid subtly
breaking if udev's postinst changed, I'd make it mode 700 to start with.

I wonder if we need to include this directory in /dev at all. udev
should create it, and migrate devices to it, if it doesn't already
exist.

--
see shy jo