Using git-svn for D-I - full repo available

Hi,

Triggered by a discussion about the use of git for D-I at Debconf and
after seeing Otavio use it, I've done some experimenting with git-svn
over the past few days. This package allows you to create a local git
repository that can be kept in sync with a central SVN repository.

The main advantage is that using git allows to create "real" local
development branches. Another nice feature is that it is much easier to
do "time traveling" to certain commits and to see for example what the
repository looked like at revision 500...

I've worked with this a bit and have not seen any crashes or corruption.
Both updating the git repo from SVN and committing updates to SVN work
nicely.

The original mail I wrote was rather long, so I decided to put things in a
WiKi page instead: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/git-svn.

As the size of the basic git repository is "only" 746 MB, I have uploaded
that to alioth in a tarball. The wiki page includes instructions for
using my tarball to quickly create a full local svn-git checkout.

I guess this tarball could also be used to set up a git repo on alioth,
but before we do that, we'd have to work out how to sync between that
repo and the SVN repo. Or we could not allow to push to it, but that
would make it much less useful.

For now, I'd suggest we limit using git for local repositories for those
who want to use it.

Thanks to otavio and jcristau for their pointers about using git.

Cheers,
FJP