Re: Reworking the GTK+ cdebconf frontend

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 03:35:09PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> * r47575
> - There are plans for having cdebconf replacing debconf someday, this
> means the gtk frontend should build against gtk/x11 too [1].
> Including more directfb private includes files goes the oppposite way,
> so this change is wrong.

Attilio, the includes go with the function calls. Either you have both
private dfb_* function calls and private directfb includes, or you have
neither. You can't have it both ways! If you want it to build against
GTK/X11, use ifdefs around both the includes and the function calls.

Current cdebconf warns:

/home/cjwatson/d-i/packages/cdebconf/src/modules/frontend/gtk/gtk.c: In function ‘gtk_go’:
/home/cjwatson/d-i/packages/cdebconf/src/modules/frontend/gtk/gtk.c:1475: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘dfb_input_device_reload_keymap’
/home/cjwatson/d-i/packages/cdebconf/src/modules/frontend/gtk/gtk.c:1475: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘dfb_input_device_at’

... and this is unambiguously a bug, no matter how it gets fixed.

> - Text reformatting you performed to gtk.c makes it longer, althought
> cleaner, so *less* readable.

gtk.c has never really conformed to the cdebconf coding guidelines
(doc/coding.txt; admittedly cdebconf in general is wildly inconsistent,
but I'm trying to improve it gradually), and has got a lot worse
recently. There is no reason to be obsessed with length; as a general
rule programs are not easier to read just because they're shorter, and
following a consistent style across the whole codebase generally makes
programs more readable regardless of length. I support cleaning it up.

A number of Jérémy's changes weren't consistent with the rest of
cdebconf, though.