Re: Xen kernel in the installer

On Thursday 03 May 2007 14:25, Hiren Joshi wrote:
> I set up a slice with a CDROM drive pointing to the install CD. Booted
> the xen kernel with an initrd (modified) taken from the install CD with
> the xen AMD 64 modules on it. This kick started the install process.
> The installer installed the AMD 64 regular kernel I then had to chroot
> into the new install and apt-get the xen kernel and modify grub....
> this install process is a bit ugly. Would it be possible to include the
> xen kernel in the install CD so it will install the right kernel from
> the start? This will make Debian slices much easier to install with no
> modifications after install ie. much cleaner.

No, I'm afraid not as the space on CD images is quite tight and including
additional kernels would either lead to an undesired size increase of the
image (in the case of netinst) or push off other, more important,
packages.

If you have a good internet connection or a local mirror I would suggest
using a businesscard CD image for the installation. In expert mode that
will allow you to select a xen kernel.

Cheers,
FJP