Re: waking up in the 10.x.x.x network

Op 23-04-2007 om 11:03 schreef Michael S. Peek:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> >
> >I would go talk to the administrator of the registration server.
> >and ask for a directory on the that web server.
> >

> Let's say that they go for it and let me have a d-i directory on the
> registration web server.  I boot my install client, get an address in
> 10.x.x.x, download the preseed file from the web server -- and then
> crash when d-i can't see the internet to download the rest of the
> packages...  Right?  Because when you're in 10.x.x.x, the only thing you
> can see is this one web server.  I would still have to find a way to
> re-configure the ethernet with it's correct IP address using the preseed
> files downloaded from the web server.  Would that be possible?  Maybe by
> having preseed execute a script?  I suppose I would have to not only
> ifconfig the interface with the correct values, but presumably change
> d-i's debconf database too, as I don't know which is used to write out
> the /target/etc/network/interfaces file during the installation process.

> They didn't go for it.  They're too paranoid.  Which doesn't surprise me
> any.
>
> Even if I could get their DHCP server to serve me my correct static
> addresses that would solve the problem.  I think.  I would still need to
> make sure that after installation the system is set up to be static
> instead of DHCP.

See your problem as a challenge.
Increase the fun to split then in several smaller challenges.

For two of the three challenges, you can find allies on this
mailinglist. Doing "DHCP over HTTP" was posted last week. Getting
a static IP address, preseeded over the network, can be done by
executing netcfg a second time. In fact, it has allready be done,
about one / two years ago [1].

The thrid challenge is getting server facility on your network.

My advice:
Request an address in 10.x.x.x network and assign that address as an
alias to a (web)server you have write access to.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] Getting feedback about netcfg second time, is appriciated.
(a request for help finding it back is also fine :-)