Re: A small udeb contribution from an arm-chair developer

Chris Bell wrote:
Maybe I just don't understand DHCP as much as I should, but if my organization already has a DHCP server (that will provide me an incorrect IP address of 10.x.x.x), and I set up my own DHCP server, then won't that cause race conditions with the install client? At least, I've run into this problem before setting up a bootp server.

Michael
   The IP address ranges 10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.0/16 are set
aside for private networks not directly visible from the internet,
169.254.0.0/16 is a reserved block for link local addresses, and 224.0.0.1
is a special address which means all interfaces connected to the network,
and may be used by a router as it attempts to identify possible connections.
See RFC 3330 - Special-Use IPv4 Addresses, and The Linux Documentation
Project Network Administrators Guide.
   IPCop can accept any IP address allocated by a DHCP server, and its own
DHCP server can be set to allocate an address within a different block. I
would suggest choosing addresses within a totally diferent range so as to be
sure that there is no other adjacent local network using that range.
   DHCP addresses are allocated for a pre-set period, and are renewed or
re-allocated after the time-out.

http://www.tldp.org

If I set up a DHCP server using IPCop, is there a way to I tell the Debian installer to listen to my DHCP server instead of the broken Windows DHCP server? If I can figure that out then I can boot and install over the network, without the need for installation media at all.

Michael