Re: Filesystem type survives formatting in debian installer?

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 01:26:26PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello!

I am trying to create a customized installation disk with the ability
to create encrypted root filesystem.  In my test installations, I noticed
that the filesystem type is not set properly when I choose to reformat
filesystems in debian installer.

This is what I am doing:

1. While doing a test install, I use "cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/hdaX"
  to create an encrypted filesystem.

So you did not use the crypto support in partman to set up the encrypted filesystem but did it manually in VT2?

2. In the next test install, I choose to reformat /dev/hdaX with ext3.

Using the partitioner in the installer?

3. When the system reboots after installation, I get the error message
  that the filesystem could not be mounted causing the boot process to
  abort, and my preseed/late_command (which runs cryptsetup and copies
  the system to encrypted partition) is not run.

I don't get it...preseed/late_command is run just before the reboot (and before file systems are unmounted), what does it have to do with post-reboot?

Could you please provide the exact error messages that you get?

4. When I try to mount the filesystem manually, I get the error message
  that filesystem type cyrpto_LUKS in not known.

Manually mount, as in doing "mount /dev/something /mnt" from the initramfs shell? The "crypto_LUKS" text is (as far as I know) an identification string provided by vol_id (i.e. libvolumeid) from udev, it is used in the initramfs image but not by the regular mount binary...so could you please provide more details on how and under which circumstances you tried to mount the filesystem?

5. Using "mount -t ext3 /dev/hdaX /mnt" succeeds and "cat /proc/mounts"
  shows that the filesystem type is actually ext3, so the filesystem
  was actually reformatted.

--
David Härdeman