Re: Dictionaries-common prompts users FIVE times during a default French desktop install

On Monday 04 December 2006 19:11, Agustin Martin wrote:
> Fixed dictionaries-common package (0.70.10) uploaded to sid this
> morning with medium urgency.

OK. So finally we have some real logs. This was during an nl_NL
installation, so I'm afraid some messages are translated.

Quick translation guide:
- Ophalen                         = Downloading
- Extraheren van sjablonen        = Extracting templates
- Voorconfigureren van pakketten  = Preconfiguring packages
- Uitpakken van                   = Extracting
- Instellen van                   = Configuring

If you compare the two attached logs (the interesting bit is just after
line 2000), you will see that:
- in the normal case (with the newt frontend) after packages are
  downloaded, there are steps for ""extracting templates" and for
  "preconfiguring packages";
- in the broken case (with the gtk frontend) after packages are
  downloaded, these steps are missing!

Of course this does explain why questions are asked later: dict-common
depends on preconfiguration to "preseed" the values and defaults for the
wordlist selection and, because this is missing, does not flag the
questions as "seen".
This seems to be triggered by the fact that "old" choices and "new"
choices are unequal as can be seen near "Instellen van wamerican" around
line 2450-2500.

My preliminary conclusion is that this is not a bug in dict-common, but
rather a serious bug somewhere in the installer or in the package
management tools. I'll try to see if I can get a handle on it.

Cheers,
FJP