Re: Corrupt dpkg database? No kernels found

On Sunday 10 December 2006 21:22, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> It turns out that apt segfaults with kernel version 2.6.18-6 (abi 3),
> but not with 2.6.18-5 (abi 2) during installation on the Linksys NSLU2.
> I tested this by replacing the 2.6.18-6 kernel with a 2.6.18-5 kernel.
> I had to compile ext3 and usb disk support into the kernel, but
> everything else in the installer image was the same.

Great. That does narrow it down a bit. That upload added upstream
2.6.18.3, but Martin also committed quite a few patches for arm.
At first glance the Debian specific changes look more likely to me than
the upstream changes.

It could still be a general change though given the fact that other arches
also suddenly have apt-related changes.

> I haven't figured out why 2.6.18-5 works and 2.6.18-6 causes apt to
> segfault, but it appears that the problem does not lie with apt.

Well, it could still be a latent bug in apt that the new kernel exposed.

If you really want to punish yourself, you could try to do a git-bisect
using upstream kernel source to track down which change caused the
regression. That is going to take quite a bit of time though.

Hmm. Maybe testing with a clean upstream kernel first would make sense
(though maybe some Debian patches are required for the NSLU2; Martin
should know).

Cheers,
FJP