Re: Previously working LVM setup mysteriously broken.

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 07:12:41PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:33:33AM +0100, Lo?c Minier <lool@dooz.org> was heard to say:
> >  some trivia first:
> >  - Debian's lilo is patched with an unofficial patch for device-mapper
> >    support which was not updated since mid 2005
> >  - Debian just hits the problem, but it seems to be a common problem if
> >    I look at google queries; see also:
> >    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/lilo-installer/+bug/23835
> >
> >  The conclusion of most threads / (open) bug reports / forums is that
> >  you should not have /boot on md / lvm / whatever, but since this used
> >  to work, I suppose we are somehow bound to continue supporting this.
>
>   If that's the case, the installer team needs to print a much bigger
> warning.  As of a month or two ago, they just say you can't use Grub for
> boot-on-raid, but that Lilo works (that's how I got my system set up).
>
>   As an irrelevant aside, I actually tried to set up a separate /boot with
> grub and/or lilo, but neither seemed to be able to handle that configuration
> at all (I don't remember why at the moment; I think it smelled like some weird
> Epia idiosyncracy).

I used the Etch (pre-RC1) installer and it works just great: Two
identical 80 GB SATA drives.  Two partitions each drive.  First
partition to md0 for /boot (no lvm).  Second partition to md1 for lvm,
then the usual separate lvms (root, usr, var, home, swap).  I use grub
but found that grub wasn't actually installed to the mbrs so it wouldn't
boot.  Rebooted the install in rescue mode and installed grub onto each
(both) MBRs.  It worked great from there on.

Boot up, add a line to grub's menu.list so that I have a grub menu item
pointing to both drive's (since grub can't see raids, it accesses the
drives directly).

So now I can choose from the BIOS's boot-menu which MBR to boot, then a
choice from within grub which (sda or sdb) kernel to boot.

Remember that since grub can't deal with raids you can only use it on
either plain partitions or a raid1 (mirror).

Doug.