Re: [jw@raven.inka.de: Problems preseeding german keyboard.]

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:44:29AM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:

> The custom CD is based on ubuntu edgy alternate CD.  As described in
> the above howto, I use the following append line to preseed locale and
> keyboard settings in isolinux.cfg (I have added line breaks for
> readability)
>
>   append  debian-installer/locale=de_DE \
>           kbd-chooser/method=de-latin1-nodeadkeys \
>           file=/cdrom/preseed/install.seed \
>           initrd=/install/initrd.gz \
>           ramdisk_size=16384 \
>           root=/dev/ram rw quiet --
>
> Preseeding the locale works with this setting.  But presetting the
> keyboard don't work.  I am still asked to "Detect keyboard layout?"
> and so on.

Just for the records:  I've got it working finally:

   append  debian-installer/locale=de_DE \
           console-setup/ask_detect=false \
           console-setup/variant=Germany \
           console-setup/layout=Germany \
           file=/cdrom/preseed/install.seed \
           initrd=/install/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=16384 \
           root=/dev/ram rw quiet --

The key was "console-setup/ask_detect=false".

While at it, I'd like to propose a feature request:

It is a real pain to finish installation just to find out (by digging
through logfiles) which question needed which answer.  Especially annoying
is the situation when you can't finish installation because of bad/wrong
answers :-(

Thus here's the suggestion for improvement: When installer asks a question,
user can use a special key ('?' for example) to find out the information
needed to fill into the preseed file.  As an example: when installer asks
"Detect keyboard layout?" and user presses '?', the installer should
output:

    d-i console-setup/ask_detect boolean
    values: true, false

or something.

PS: I have trouble to subscribe to debian lists.  I never receive the
    conformation messages.  I have no such problems with other lists
    (I subscribed to ubuntu-de and ubuntu-users a couple of days ago)