Corrupt dpkg database? No kernels found

I just got an error during the installation because no kernel was
found.  syslog complained about missing dependencies and advised that
"apt-get -f install" should be run.  I entered the target and issues
that command but apt-get segfaulted.  After manually installing a .deb
with dpkg, apt-get worked fine... this seems like a corrupted dpkg
database to me.  Has anyone seen this before?  It sounds similar to
something someone recently mentioned on -mips.  I'm on ARM and several
test installations in the last few days worked fine.

Logs:

Nov 26 10:31:21 apt-install: Reading package lists...
Nov 26 10:31:21 apt-install:
Nov 26 10:31:21 apt-install: Building dependency tree...
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install:
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install: You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install:   base-files: Depends: awk
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install:   netbase: Depends: openbsd-inetd but it is not installable or
Nov 26 10:31:33 apt-install:                     inet-superserver
Nov 26 10:31:35 base-installer: info: Found kernels ''
/var/log #
/var/log #
/var/log # chroot /target/
sh-3.1# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... failed.
  base-files: Depends: awk
Segmentation fault
sh-3.1# dpkg -l | grep awk
ii  mawk                   1.3.3-11                        a pattern scanning and text processing langu
sh-3.1# dpkg -l | grep base-files
ii  base-files             4                               Debian base system miscellaneous files
sh-3.1# dpkg -p base-files
Package: base-files
Essential: yes
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 162
Maintainer: Santiago Vila <sanvila@debian.org>
Architecture: arm
Version: 4
Replaces: base, miscutils
Provides: base
Depends: awk, base-passwd (>= 2.0.3.4)
Size: 34392
 This package contains the basic filesystem hierarchy of a Debian system, and
 several important miscellaneous files, such as /etc/debian_version,
 /etc/host.conf, /etc/issue, /etc/motd, /etc/profile, /etc/nsswitch.conf,
 and others, and the text of several common licenses in use on Debian systems.
sh-3.1# dpkg -p mawk
Package: mawk
 Mawk is an interpreter for the AWK Programming Language. The AWK
 language is useful for manipulation of data files, text retrieval and
 processing, and for prototyping and experimenting with algorithms. Mawk
 is a new awk meaning it implements the AWK language as defined in Aho,
 Kernighan and Weinberger, The AWK Programming Language, Addison-Wesley
 Publishing, 1988. (Hereafter referred to as the AWK book.) Mawk conforms
 to the POSIX 1003.2 (draft 11.3) definition of the AWK language
 which contains a few features not described in the AWK book, and mawk
 provides a small number of extensions.
 .
 Mawk is smaller and much faster than gawk. It has some compile-time
 limits such as NF = 32767 and sprintf buffer = 1020.
sh-3.1# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... failed.
  base-files: Depends: awk
Segmentation fault
sh-3.1# dpkg -l apt
ii  apt            0.6.46.2       Advanced front-end for dpkg
sh-3.1#
sh-3.1# more /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb3.1# wget http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gdb/gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.
--10:37:21--  http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gdb/gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.deb
           => `gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.deb'
Resolving ftp.at.debian.org... 213.129.232.18
Connecting to ftp.at.debian.org|213.129.232.18|:80... connected.
Length: 2,541,184 (2.4M) [application/x-debian-package]

100%[====================================>] 2,541,184     91.21K/s    ETA 00:00

10:37:46 (102.13 KB/s) - `gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.deb' saved [2541184/2541184]

sh-3.1# dpkg -i gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gdb.
(Reading database ... 7221 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gdb (from gdb_6.5.dfsg-2_arm.deb) ...
Setting up gdb (6.5.dfsg-2) ...

sh-3.1# gdb apt-get
GNU gdb 6.5-debian
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run -f install
Starting program: /usr/bin/apt-get -f install
Could not open /proc/25647/status
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
sh-3.1# mount -t proc none /proc
sh-3.1# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done