Re: Default locale policy

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:13:35AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 06:36:37PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I think this is what we should expect under UTF-8 encoding:
>
> > Console and daemon should run under:
> >  --> For en_* and all non-latain character countrues:
> >        en_US.UTF-8
> >  --> For non-english latain character countries may choose:
> >        *.UTF-8 (Fr, De, It,...) but I think en_US.UTF-8 is OK too.
>
> > Then X applications should run under locale:
> >        *.UTF-8

> No, this is inappropriate.  The reason /etc/default/locale was split from
> /etc/environment is because /etc/environment is always intended to be used
> by (and owned by) PAM, but /etc/default/locale is intended as a
> general-purpose file, guaranteed to be parseable as a simple shell
> assignment, that tells applications what the "system" locale is.
>
> If there is a need for a different "system" locale between the console and
> X, then some other method would need to be devised.  Please do not attempt
> to overload the existing files for this.

OK.  Then that is what is needed.  I am not particuar about how you do
it but I care about result.  Now it is clear

For problematic locales, /etc/default/locale should contain en_US.UTF-8
while gdm, kdm, wdm,  and xdm (probably) need to be started with a
different file used by PAM which installer writes debconf chosen locale
which used to be written to /etc/default/locale.

Do any of you think appropriate to have /etc/default/locale-dm or
somethig like it?

It may be too late for etch to get all together but it is a thought.

Osamu