Re: [RFR] Manual - new section on CD (resend)

Since I do not see it on ML., resend...
-----------------------------

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:33:42PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> (Resending this mail as it hasn't reached the list after about 24 hours)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've written a new section for the manual on how to deal with CD-ROM
> problems (inspired by Osamu).
> I'd appreciate a review/comments before I commit it.
>
> A preview is available from:
> http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/ch05s03.html

I think it may be good idea to remind easy/quick fix solution before
giving elaborate solution.   So I suggest following as the starting
section.

| 5.3.1. CD-ROM Reliability
|
| Sometimes the installer may fail to boot from a CD-ROM.  In this case,
| we suggest you clean CD and try again first.  It may be just due to
| CD being dirty or loose.
|
| The installer may also — even after booting successfully from CD-ROM —
| fail to recognize the CD-ROM or return errors while reading from it
| during the installation.  In this case, we suggest you to try mounting
| CD from the installation menu shown right after error message first.
| Some DMA related isses with older CD-ROM drive are known to be resolved
| easily in this way.
|
| If you still face issues, there are a many different possible causes for
| these problems.  We can only list some common issues and provide general
| suggestions on how to deal with them. The rest is up to you.
|
| If you cannot get the installation working from CD-ROM, try one of the
| other installation methods that are available.

As I understand, linux kernel switches automagically to non-DMA mode
once it finds device does working with DMA mode.  Somehow, in this case,
symlink on CD does not come out OK on my old machine.  Maybe some kernel
issue on rockridge file system while kernel reconfiguring itself
automagically to non-DMA.

As for the non-IDE CD-ROM controller, I think that is less common than
non-DMA IDE CD-ROM drive.  So common issues may be better to be
rearranged as:

| 5.3.1.1. Common issues
|
|     * Some older CD-ROM drives do not support reading from discs that were
|       burned at high speeds using a modern CD writer.
|     * Some older CD-ROM drives do not work correctly if “direct memory access”
|       (DMA) is enabled.
|     * If your system boots correctly from the CD-ROM, it does not necessarily
|       mean that Linux also supports the CD-ROM (or, more correctly, the
|       controller that your CD-ROM drive is connected to).

I was wondering your use of "head -c" instad of "dd" with "count", but I
guess that may be the busybox tool limitation.

I hope thsi helps.

Osamu