Re: partman-auto bug for multiple disks

On Wed, October 4, 2006 13:33, Simon Huggins said:
> partman-auto has been changed now to deal with multiple disks for other
> methods but it's broken:
>
> 	case "$method" in
> 		regular)
> 			for disk in $disks; do
> 				id=$(dev_to_partman "$disk") || true
> 				if [ -n "$id" ]; then
> 					autopartition "$id"
> 					exit 0
> 				fi
> 			done
> 			exit 1
> 			;;
>
> The exit 0 should be outside the for loop I think.  In fact I would
> propose the following patch but I'd like David/Frans to comment on it
> before I just apply it.

I just added support for *specifying* multiple disks. All partman-auto
methods still need to be changed to actually take advantage of multiple
disks.

So I don't think (from a very quick reading) that the code is currently
incorrect (or I'm daft and you need to provide more detail).

Currently, the code will go trough the specified disk(s), use the first
one which is found and considered valid (by dev_to_partman) and partition
it. If you did the partitioning on multiple disks right now, you'd get
several independently partitioned disks (each with /boot etc).

If no disk is found, an error will be generated (hence the exit 1 outside
the loop).

On a related note, the method that would be easiest to change would
probably be partman-auto-lvm since it only needs to do the pvcreate dance
on each disk, then lvcreate with all used disks and after that it can
proceed as usual without any further code changes.

--
David Härdeman