Re: New cdebconf facility allowing simpler translated choices

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:10:57PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Normally speaking, Choices-C should contain identifiers that are
> > convenient for use in code and preseeding, while Choices and Choices-$LL
> > etc. should contain human-readable strings.
>
> I wonder whether console-data could benefit of this.
>
> It currently uses:
>
> _Choices: <insert a lot of crappy keymap names here>
>

> With Choices-en containing some "regular English" translations for
> these like "French (latin-1)", "Slovenian", etc...
>

> In that case, we will still need the translation of choices.
>
> Would the following be possible:
>
> Choices-C: by,bg,croat,cz-lat2,sg-latin1,...
> __Choices: Belarusian, Bulgarian, Croat, German Swiss

You should separate Choices-C entries by comma-space rather than just
comma, and you'd have to check whether po-debconf will do the right
thing there, but yes, that should be a reasonable approach. Make sure to
depend on appropriate versions of debconf/cdebconf.

That said, in the case of console-data which isn't doing any
substitutions, using Choices-C and Choices really doesn't buy you very
much over using Choices and Choices-en.

Cheers,