Re: partman chokes on partitionable md arrays

On Saturday 08 July 2006 02:21, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> I just tried to install etch to RAID1 using a
> debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso from a few days ago. For various
> reasons I would have liked to use a partitionable md array
> (/dev/md_d*).

Looks like you're trying to do something that is just not supported. In
general the installer does not support direct partitioning of a software
raid device. What's wrong with using LVM on RAID?

If you can give us very good reasons (your "various reasons" won't really
convince anybody, you'll have to be much more specific) why such a
partitioning scheme should be supported _and_ you can can point to
documentation that says your naming scheme is generally accepted, I guess
you could file a wishlist bug report against partman-md.

However, I very much doubt it would get supported anytime soon unless you
provide patches yourself. Probably not only for partman, but also for
bootloader installers, initrd generators and various other utilities...

Alternatively, you can partition your system as you like and use
debootstrap to manually install your system. This is documented in an
appendix of the installation guide. I can't guarantee you won't run into
problems though.

Cheers,
FJP