Re: [g-i] new screenshots available

On 22/06/2006, at 10:31 AM, Davide Viti wrote:

Dejavu 2.7 has made it into unstable and things are happening on the
font side. I just created a new set of screenshots in [1]; everything
is pretty much the best we can do atm, apart from Arabic / Farsi (see
#374720)
It would be interesting to have some feedback from native speakers; I'd be particularly interested to know how is Vietnamese displayed using Dejavu (we don't use freefont anylonger to display it) and how non-latin languages
look like.
I noticed that using experimental g-i images based on latest
libraries, everything looks more consistent, that's why I don't think
it's the right time to spend time on fixing fonts file: I think I'll give
a go at font hacking once new libraries will be available.

regards,
Davide

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/ 20060621_dejavu2.7/

In Vietnamese, it's just readable at that size, but it's not very good. I have to guess some of the diacritics from the context, because they blend into each other, there's just a blob instead of two distinct diacritics. The a-grave is definitely weird, almost separates the a from the previous character: the grave should be centred above the vowel.

I'm downloading the package, and will send you a detailed critique. I hope that will be useful. :)