Re: Running debian-installer from the command line?

Hi Joachim,

I also failed already using debian-installer from command line (on a
Mipsel SUPERTOLL (German for "super great", sic!) system).
I haven't tested it recently in detail but I think a few of your
steps/assumptions are wrong.

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 11:44:07PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Um... telinit alone might not work, and there's some setup work
> involved. Let me spell out the steps:
>
> 1. Base system has / on a RAM disk

You need to extract the initial RAM disk and chroot into it before
to have it available as /.

> 2. Partition and format the HDD as needed

You can do this step already before 1 using you fully supported (outer) system.

> 3. Mount the future root partition on (say) /mnt/root
> 4. Download the ISO into / (or to /mnt/root if it won't fit into the
>    RAM disk)

A mount --bind should also work to make a subdirectory available in the RAM disk.

> 5. mkdir /mnt/iso, loop-mount the ISO to /mnt/iso
> 6. cp -a /mnt/iso /mnt/root

No need to copy if /mnt/root contains the ISO image. Just mount it below
/mnt/root/mnt/iso.

> 7. Shutdown most daemons. Particularly those that service any IP ports.
>    (Other services, too?)

Why do you want to stop daemons, which one? Most probably you refer to
the daemons in your outer system (in which you called chroot), so you
have to exit the chroot first.

> 8. chroot /mnt/iso /bin/bash --login

??????
A ISO image does not carry a valid system!????
You should chroot into the directory which contains the initial RAM disk
instead.

> 9. telinit -Q

??
Why is this necessary?