Re: [RFR] Proposal for installs without network connection

Frans Pop wrote:
> I agree with that. What would be cleaner is to teach d-i a bit about
> installation methods (at least CD/net) so we could ask for current
> installation method.

Yeah, I agree. I haven't found a nice retreiver-like abstraction for it
yet though.

> We should apply that.

I've got it in my WC, I'll look at applying it once I get current again.

> The patch leaves one important issue open though.
> If the user is installing from CD, you don't want him to be able to select
> a different suite for the mirror to be used for pkgsel than was used for
> base installation from CD.
> So you still want to either disable selection of the mirror/suite in
> choose-mirror, or just ignore it in generators/50mirror (maybe with a
> warning) and use cdrom/codename instead.

If someone really wants to do that, why not just let them, it might
break some of the time, but then installing current etch from an old etch
CD will also break some of the time.

> The case that was not covered is when the mirror _is_ there, but does not
> cover the architecture. debootstrap would be started and would fail when
> it cannot untar basefiles or something like that (#353556).
> And, of course, once debootstrap is started it's kind of too late to offer
> an alternative mirror.

Right, which you fixed in choose-mirror 1.21.

> > The nice thing about re-invoking choose-mirror on failure is that it
> > lets the installer cleanly recover from issues such as a mirror dying
> > in the middle of the install, or choose-mirror not noticing that a
> > mirror is actually broken. apt-setup also does this.
>
> Hmm. You would have to be able to diagnose that it is a failing mirror
> though. When selecting a mirror or checking a sources.list that is easy
> enough, but when debootstrap dies while downloading packages there could
> be loads of causes for the failure.

Right, in practice, if you try a bunch of other mirrors and they're all
failing, you give up, or look at the logs, or something. :-)

> Note that IMHO setting "don't use a network mirror" for mirror/country
> from cdrom-detect is just as dirty as checking for the existence of a
> file in choose-mirror. Possibly even dirtier as it hardcodes a string
> from choose-mirror that could change.

True enough.

> New idea...
> One problem is that we now ask the choose-mirror question very early for
> CD installs. It would be more logical to ask it just before apt-setup.
> This could be achieved by having two very minimal udebs with different
> menu numbers, both depending on a third containing the actual binary and
> templates and stuff. The first udeb with current menu number would only
> be included on initrds requiring network for base install (prio
> optional); the other udeb would have menu number just before apt-setup
> and be prio standard, but have an isinstallable that suppresses it if the
> first is also present.

Actually you could use apt-mirror-setup as the second udeb, just have it
call choose-mirror in 50mirror. That would be fine..

--
see shy jo