Re: Debian installer support of ipw2200-based wifi-based installation

(CC'ing you as unsure you're subscribed...no need to CC me to answers)

Quoting Dominik Margraf (dominik.margraf@gmail.com):
> My centrino laptop has a functional wifi system (ipw2200) suppose if wifi is
> the only LAN connection available for my laptop, at this stage is it
> possible for me to configure the Debian installer so that it can do a
> net-install via the wifi system?  If not, when would it be likely for this
> feature to be added to the Debian installer? (or would this feature be
> likely to be implemented into the debian installer in the final version of
> etch?) This feature would be critical for promoting mass-adoption of Laptop
> into our Debian system.

IPW2200 support needs some non free firmware to be loaded for the
kernel modules to work.

By definition, these non free modules cannot be included in the
installer itself, so they have to be loaded manually by the user
during the install, from a removable device.

For this to be possible, some work has to be done to allow user
promptinh at the right moment, etc....this is a known issue and we
mostly need someone to work on it.

Currently, only manual operations can maybe allow ipw2200 module to
work in the installer by manually copying the firmware to
/lib/firmware from VT2 just before the network configuration step is
run.

The firware has also to be copied in /target/lib/firmware at the end
of the install, before rebooting.

(all these suggestions are untested...)