Re: Debian and others installation

Roseland, Winton wrote:

After service pack 6A, NT started to lock up on it, so I went to Win2K
but after a service pack I started getting lock-ups again where it
appeared that the IDE controller did not respond.  Linux has worked
well, as Knoppix will run for months before I reboot.

1) I have a HP PSC 1315 printer attached to a USB 2.0 PCI card, and all
recent Debian based versions died during the install as long as the
printer was plugged in.  A message came up about initializing or
checking the USB and that was the end.  There were no errors: it just
never did anything else.

Did you consider a problem with your hardware?

My workstation often (more than once a day) got freezes under Win XP, but very seldom (once a month) under Debian Sarge. This was mostly after opening a large file. A boot into memtest showed my very quickly, that the memory is corrupt. After changing I never had freezes.

There can be a lot of other reasons like damaged capacitors on the mainboard, bugs in the chipset drivers, a weak power supply etc.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer