/dev and chroot with debootstrap

I used debootstrap to make a new installation from an existing
installation, following the instructions at
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds03.html

The new system uses evms partitions entirely, via /dev/evms.
D.3.4.1 says to run mount -a after chroot, but this fails because
/dev/evms doesn't exist.

I've worked around this by doing all the mounts from outside the
chroot, but this is getting tedious and it seems something is wrong
here.

I'm tempted to file a bug against the installation manual, but am not
sure if  that's appropriate.  Could anyone advise me about that?

Here are some theories about what the problem is:
1. I've missed something.
2. The manual is incomplete.
3. debootstrap is incomplete.
4. udev is missing something.
5. evms needs to cater to this situation.

There's a technology overload going on: evms requires that /dev/evms
be available.  I'm guessing this depends on udev with recent kernels.
udev requires procfs, but that is not mounted in the chroot (though it
can be mounted, and would be mounted if the mount -a worked).

I notice that the debootsrap created system does not have the udev
package installed.  I wonder if it should for newer kernels (running
2.6.14).

If any solutions or work-arounds are available (other than mounting
from outside the chroot), I'd love to hear about them.