observations from a newbie

Hi

I am new to linux and i made a couple of observations when installing
debian "etch"

tool in installer, or display information about these config tools at
first boot?

Full text:

I dont know if this is very relevant, or the right forum for this
posting, but here it goes:

When installing, everything went smoothly until the first boot.

The graphics were 800x600, and my screen is 1920x1200. This took me a
few hours to correct, most sources on the net hinted at editing X
config files, which I didn't want to touch. I then found a console
based X configuration tool "debxconf", "xconf" or something, and after
running it, all settings where applied correctly, including support for
all relevant resolution settings and 3d acceleration.

Next, I found out I had no sound. The "sound card" is on board the main
board, nvidia nforce4, realtec sound chip. I assumed the sound card was
unsupported, but after a few hours of experimenting I stumbled across a
tool called alsaconf, which solved the problem at the touch of a
button.

I think other newbies would appreciate to be informed about these
options when installing, or even have them included in the otherwise
excellent debian installer.

System: AMD64 athlon, nforce4, geforce 5300 PCIe, 2Gb memory

And finally, during the installation I had the choice to partition my
disks as "desktop". This allowed the system partition to be maximum 7
Gb. Why? My disk is 250Gb, And I've already installed more than 7
gigabytes' worth of packages.

I hope this was helpful!

-Mr. New_to_linux

--