Re: D-I Etch Beta2 release status & timeline / arm

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:01:50AM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> [2006-01-19 12:17]:
> > When there are new kernel uploads, please update kernel udebs ASAP.
> > There has also been a fairly recent (security) update of 2.4 kernels
> > (2.4.27-12) in unstable; 2.4 kernel udebs should be updated if not
> > done already.

> Just a brief update for arm (sorry, I forgot to send this earlier on,
> it seems): I compiled a kernel against -12 and uploaded them along
> with udebs a few days ago.  Also, after working with upstream, we
> finally found a solution for the problem that Netwinder cannot boot an
> initrd with 2.6.  So as of beta2, we'll also provide 2.6 images for
> Netwinder.  We also have a new target NSLU2, which only needs some
> more minor tweaks.

> BTW, I don't quite understand the following message.  I know that
> katie knows how to deal with removed binary packages, but it seems
> testing doesn't (?).

> kernel-image-2.4.27-arm (2.4.27-3 to 2.4.27-4)
>     Maintainer: Vincent Sanders
>     Too young, only 3 of 5 days old
>     out of date on arm: kernel-image-2.4.27-riscpc, kernel-image-2.4.27-riscstation (from 2.4.27-3) (but arm isn't keeping up, so nevermind)
>     Not considered

> (I removed the -risc* flavours in this upload, but this doesn't matter to d-i.
> But why doesn't britney grok this?)

Because britney isn't supposed to care which packages are out-of-date due to
removals from the source package, vs. missing builds.  The ftp team needs to
take care of the out-of-date packages before britney will consider it.

And since kernel-image-2.4.27-riscpc and kernel-image-2.4.27-riscstation are
still listed in debian/control, rene has no way of knowing these packages
are gone, so the ftp team won't pick this up.

Please reupload with -riscpc and -riscstation removed from the control file.
Given arm's current release status, -4 *will* be accepted into testing
as-is, but even if the ftp team manually removes these packages from
unstable they'll still be stuck in testing until the next sourceful update
of kernel-image-2.4.27-arm.