Re: VC problem on 2.6 serial with no graphics card

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:01:47PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> When I boot d-i with an 2.6 image via serial on a device which only
> has a serial console (and no graphics card), the following three
> messages are constantly repeated:
>
> | device '/dev/vc/2' does not exist.
> | device '/dev/vc/3' does not exist.
> | device '/dev/vc/4' does not exist.
>
> This is because /lib/debian-installer/init-udev-devices
> unconditionally makes /dev/vc/0 to 4.  I don't know anything about how
> udev support is done in d-i, but would it be possible to only create
> /dev/vc/0 here and let the rest be created by udev if they exist?

I tried this and it resulted in those console devices never being
created, although I think that's mostly because we don't have udev rules
that cover the devfs names of those devices. I'm also not sure that
creating them later will work; I have a feeling that they have to be
there when init starts up.

Having looked into it a bit, I don't see how this can be caused by the
devices existing. After all, the objection from init is that the devices
*don't* exist! Why is stat() failing on them?