Re: Glitches with install from daily build

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 10:46:37PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > That should be
> > Unable to correct problems.  You have held broken packages.
> > Unable to correct dependencies.  Some packages cannot be installed.
> >
> > The two commas in the original join indpendent clauses; they should be
> > periods or semi-colons.  The last line lacks a period at the end.
> >
> > Hmm, I guess this is an issue for the underlying package; I'm not sure
> > if that's dpkg or apt.
>
> Probably more likely aptitude.
OK, maybe I'll file something there.  It is pretty minor.

> > P.S. In general, where should issues that come up in install, but are
> > derived from other packages, be reported?  Another issue I ran into
> > was that my clock got reset.  The computer's clock was on the correct
> > local time.  I told the time zone setup (not sure what package that
> > is) to use UTC.  My time ended up 8 hours later, I think.  I'm in
>
> Hmmm, which time zone did you choose, exactly? Assuming you did a
> install in English, then choose USA as country, when the time question
> came, you saw all US timezones and then choose Pacific.
Yes.

> If, just after this, you answered "yes" to the question about the
> computer clock being UTC (which is the default when no Windows install
> is detected), then you end up with a 8 hour time difference.
I chose yes to UTC, althought there is a windows install and it may
have defaulted to No.

So if my system clock is on local time and I say yes to UTC, it leaves
the clock alone, resulting in an effective 8 hour shift, if I follow
you and the operation of the installer.

This is all very reasonable; it just didn't happen to be correct in my
case.  Thought maybe I should go back to local time for system clock
to make windows happy; I thought maybe Win2K was smart enough to deal
with a UTC system clock.

Interpretation 1: the default behavior is fine; I just ran into
trouble trying to do something non-standard.

Interpretation 2: Maybe the time zone installer (sorry, not sure of
the package; I assume this is the standard debconf stuff for the
package) should ask an additional question: "you system clock current
shows hh:mm.  Is that local time or UTC?".