Re: Idea for changing the text and possibly colours of graphical d-i

Frans Pop wrote:
On Sunday 04 December 2005 18:56, Eduardo Silva wrote:

- large fonts may not work well for all languages;

Oh? Damn. You mean, they would looked pixelized and
crappy? Another reason for me to try to find a smaller
size.

No. Just that I don't know how 24pt will look in completely different scripts like Arabic or Indic scripts. Just something to keep in mind and check with translators when trying things. Also, for Chinese and Japanese we currently use a bitmapped font for which only a few sizes are available. But given the recent work by Kenshi, we may switch back to TTF for those.

ATM it seems the gain in space would be around3~4 megs, in addition to the benefit of switching to TTF fonts

The lowest resolution that it will support is 640x480?

Yes, either 640x480 or maybe 600x800 after all. I would think that any system "heavy" enough for g-i will support at least 600x800. Most will probably start in higher resolutions by default.
Comments anybody?

ATM GTK frontend's widh/height are burned-in at compile time, but it should be able to read those parameters from the external world at runtime (global variables? a special couple of cdebconf-gtk/window_width cdebconf-gtk/window_height questions that are set up after boot?) This may be nice especially for those PPC machines that have fixed framebuffer resolution at boot time (like wolfram's power mac that has fixed 1024x768 resolution). A default fallback window size should be provided if the option is not specified.

A possible way out of this would be to create a fixed
sized window of 640x480, create the design to fit
perfectly in that size, and all different and higher
resolutions would keep showing this 640x480 window,
with black as a background.

Yes, that is one (and possibly the simplest) solution.

Nevertheless, having one inteligent design which
adapts itself and looks good in all resolutions is a
cool enough thing to try to achieve :).

Yes, definitely.

Basing of the screen resolution an appropriate font size should be specified in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. Any other further customization should be done using GTK themes in order not to hardcode graphics into the GTK frontend.

Last question, with the diference of resolutions,
would any other thing of the interface change? The
banner, the icons, the text size? Or probably just the
banner?

If we go for a dynamic resolution I suspect we may need different versions of images and different text sizes. We'd have to see how it looks first I guess and it will probably require some intelligent configuration work. I suspect there are solutions for this though as others must have come across this too.

Basing on the specified screen resolution the frontend should load an appropriate /usr/share/graphics/logo_debian_WIDTH_HEIGHT.png. Note that on-the-fly image rescaling is possible too, but i can't tell about graphical result.

The banner could probably be resolved by using one fixed size image on a background with the same base color as the banner that "fills up" the remaining area.

This is possible to do too..

ciao

Attilio