Re: GTK netinst cd snapshot available

Sven Luther wrote:
Since i'm not very pratical of udeb packaging i've prepared an hacky netinst cdrom

https://debian.polito.it/downloads/debian-testing-i386-20050918-GTK-netinst.iso

You know the real problem with this approach ? It excludes all the non-i386
porters, who have traditionally had more ties to framebuffer thingies and
such, since they had no text console at all very often. The fbdev itself was
first created on and for the m68k amigas after all.

long life to amiga :) i had my first programming experiences on that wonderful (having 256 colours AGA graphics made me feel like having a rainbow inide my monitor) machine over a decade ago, when "wigdets" were called "gadgets"... intuition.library and gadtoold.library rule!! ;) Sentimentalisms apart, as i mentioned before, this is just something to show off to the debian community that the graphical d-i isn't vaporware and maybe to attract developers and people who may help (font and GUIs experts..). I was also meaning to encourage the d-i community not to give up now that we're not far from the target of having that long-awaited grahical d-i available.

What is missing is not so much a hacked together iso, but an integration with
the common d-i builds, so that there can be daily builds and widespread
testing on all arches.

yes, this is really something we're missing now: experiments aimed at studying how to integrate the GTK d-i into regular debian builds. Sadly, i just know very little about debian building process, so here i cannot help: what i can do is working on the gtk frontend itself to fix bugs and make it prettier. As soon as Alastair has prepared the missing libGTK over DFB udeb it will be possible to build more "conventional" ISOs. Proper GTK FE integration will require us to also solve problems like those mentioned about libpthread, libld, libc: what are we gonna do about it? Creating the needed building environement to integrate the GTK FE in daily builds on multiple archs is someting that i suppose will be quite comlicated and will require a lot of efforts by many d-i developers togheter. IMHO we should now concentrate our efforts on being able to automatically build netinst cdroms including the GTK FE to allow for widespread betatesting and bugreporting . Having beautiful fonts packaged can wait: once graphical d-i cdroms will be available we'll have more chances of receiving help on this topic.

> One of my plans in oldenburg was to work on that.

This would be rally good work, hope many others of you will work on this.

ciao

attilio