Should installing system (/) to RAID/LVM2 work?

Hello,

I tried to install a system using

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/iso-cd/debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso
downloaded at 2005-10-20

using linux26 and expert (in order to have linux kernel v2.6 on target system).

The layout is:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 (marked as bootable)

the other hard disks placed into RAID and put a LVM2 on it.
I created a volume in the LVM pool and mounted it:

/dev/mapper/raid5-system / ext3

The installation failes after unpacking the kernel images during mkinitrd with this error (well it's not the exact wording):

mkinitrd: redirect error cannot duplicate fd: Too many open files
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
exit status 255

When I mount /dev/hda1 to / (aka let install the system to /dev/hda1) I get some warnings about Symlinks and a "Hey?" from the mkinitrd, but they scroll away too fast.

Well, I wonder to install the system onto raid/lvm should work, when /boot resides on a native, bootable partition, isn't it?

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser