GTK frontend - status update

I've today uploaded the latest versions of tarballs and udebs to alioth.

Changes are:
- new horizontal logo in rootskel-gtk udeb (thanks Eduardo)
- updated frontend (cdebconf-gtk udeb) by Attilio
- Chinese and Japanese ttf fonts replaced by xfonts-wqy bitmap font
  (resulting in size reduction of 8.3 MB)
  Thanks to Ming Hua for suggesting the change.

I will not be doing new uploads of udebs to the official archive until
Attilio finishes the changes he announced today.

gtk+-directfb development libraries
===================================
Unfortunately these have been rejected from the NEW queue [1]. I expect
that Alastair is working on solving the issues, but it looks like this
will take a while longer than we hoped.

Integrating builds into official daily builds
A (not quite) new problem has cropped up in the efforts to get rid of
localudebs. The dependency resolution for udebs is not foolproof [2]. The
builds for other images have been finetuned over time to avoid these
problems, but with our new udebs we are again running into this
structural problem.

We will either need to (ask their maintainers to) change the dependencies
for quite a few of the udebs we use, or we will have to get a structural
solution for this issue implemented [3].
I plan to investigate this further but, again, this will take time to
resolve.

However, I am quite happy with the way the current build system works and
this should not hinder development too much.

Involving others in development
===============================
As I've said during the last IRC meeting, I plan to make an announcement
of the graphical installer to the debian-devel-announce list. In that
announcement we can ask for help from people involved in GTK and font
packaging/development, as well as from i18n people.
I would like to wait with that until the main usability issues have been
fixed as best as possible. The reason for the delay is that I would like
those people to focus on new stuff without being distracted by obvious
minor problems.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/10/msg01094.html