Re: Usability issues for the GTK graphical frontend, categorized and updated list

Frans Pop wrote:
Hi Attilio,

On Monday 24 October 2005 13:14, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

here is a PNG of how the frontend would look if extended question
decriptions are displayed above question descriptions: this way the GTK
frontend is much more NEWT-like and also multiple questions are nicely
displayed the same way.

Lots of usability improvements in this version, but still some important problems IMO.

- Please, please put the title for the progress bar above it!

i've not worked yed on that: i plan to do that as soon as issues related to qestions desriptions / extended descriptions are definitely solved (just to make one SVN commit per topic of solved issue and for code modification order)

- I don't really like the display of the description in bold.
It is not very nice typographically (too much shouting) and also not all fonts have a bold variant. I think normal text would be better, especially as the question itself is in a different background and thus easy to distinguish.

this can be easily changed at any time since description and extended description are represented by two different GTKTextView vertically packed: just tell me exactly how do you want it.

- You currently do not display the title for templates.
IMO it would be good to do that. Then you would get:
   **Choose language**
   Please choose the language used for the installation process. This
   language will be the default language for the final system.

   *Choose a language:*
   <selection list>

I think making the title bold and the header for the question italic would work OK. The description and selection could then stay normal.

To be honest, i've completly forgot a FE's title existed (the one set by frontend_set_title() ) and had to be displayed (thanks for reminding me of this). I'll work on this as next item (displaying it bold, centered seems to be a good idea to me too).

Compare:
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/localechooser_newt.png
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/localechooser_gtk.png

I like the suggestions Eduardo has been making about this, but for the short run IMO my suggestion above would be better. Implementation of Eduardo's proposals will probably be easier with a new GTK.

- The heading for "note" templates is not displayed in the correct place.
Compare "Help on partitioning" in these 2 screenshots:
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/partman-help_newt.png
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/partman-help_gtk.png

here i don't know what happened: i'll investigate

Still the progressbar has to be moved to a more appropriate place
(popup window?).

This is not high priority IMO.

ok, anyway progressbar won't be fixed in the imminent next SVN commit

Since the main screen, after removing the helpbox and static
progressbar, will have to display a smaller number of elements at the
same time then the GTK FE could operate using a 640x480 resolution
rather than the current 800x600.

Yes. Also, with the logo moved to the top and the textareas gone, the text is getting too wide to read easily. We should do something about that, for example by defining a left and right margins (or maximum width for text area) for higher resolutions.

this can be easily done by defining a different QUESTIONBOX_HPADDING in gtk.c. Switching to 640x480 will require us to modify the window's width/height in gtk.c and to set the correct vga=xxx parameter at boot time

Here is also provided a miniiso image to allow you for usability
testing https://debian.polito.it/downloads/mini.iso

Thanks. I've used that for testing :-)

Above the diffs from SVN of experimental sourcecode: this should give
you an idea of how much gtk.c has been simplified (also a couple of
variables have been removed from cdebconf_gtk.h).

Please use 'diff -u' if you send diffs; that makes them a lot easier to read.

ok, to summarize i'll make modifications to question descriptions / extended descriptions font styles/weight and i'll add the window title o the window. I'll also make the window 640x480 then i'll post a new testing ISO and PNGs: if modifications will be accepted i'll commit to SVN mentioned changes.

ciao

Attilio