Re: Graphical frontend: some screenshots

On Thursday 13 October 2005 14:10, Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
> It is somnething wrong with Arabic and Persian there. It looks like
> there are isolated variants for some characters that should not be.

There may be, but I have no idea as I have no idea how things should look.

One possible cause is that AFAICT fontconfig makes a "priority list" with
the order in which fonts should be scanned for characters.
Currently, with the font FreeSans as default, this list is:

$ fc-match --sort "FreeSans"
FreeSans.ttf: "FreeSans" "Medium"
FreeSansBold.ttf: "FreeSans" "Bold"
kochi-gothic.ttf: "Kochi Gothic" "Regular"
Gargi_1.7.ttf: "Gargi_1.7" "Medium"
gbsn00lp.ttf: "AR PL SungtiL GB" "Regular"
bsmi00lp.ttf: "AR PL Mingti2L Big5" "Reguler"
FreeSerif.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Medium"
FreeMono.ttf: "FreeMono" "Medium"
ae_Tholoth.ttf: "ae_Tholoth" "Regular"
chandas1-1.ttf: "Chandas" "Regular"
sansu___.ttf: "Sans Uralic" "Regular"
lohit_pa.ttf: "Lohit Punjabi" "Regular"
Saab.ttf: "Saab" "Regular"
UnDotum.ttf: "UnDotum" "Regular"
FreeMonoBold.ttf: "FreeMono" "Bold"
FreeSerifBold.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Bold"
FreeSerifItalic.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Italic"

As you can see, there is an arabic font in that set (ae_Tholoth), but
fairly down the list. As I understand it, if any font higher in the list
contains a character for a UTF8-code, that will be taken.

The problem may be something else though, maybe shaping functions doing
the wrong thing? Something to look into by font experts I guess.

> Also it looks like one word is drawn with several fonts. For simplified
> Chinese there is only one ideogram in translation, should be two.

This is now fixed. See http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/GTK_CJK.png.

Cheers,
FJP