Re: GTK miniiso - status and instructions for building

On Sunday 02 October 2005 23:39, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> After a lot of efforts to remove unneded files from .TGZs now the
> situation is:
>
> - d-i_gtk_frontend.tgz contains ONLY gtk.so compiled against my
> hand-made libgtk+-directfb libs.
>  From now on gtk.so in d-i_gtk_frontend.tgz is chown'ed to 0:0 and
> chmod'ed 644.

Please also chown the directories (not that it really makes much
difference, it's just cleaner).

> - d-i_gtk_root.tgz contains ONLY my libc-2.3.5.so that is needed to
> make gtk.so work (no more other files in /lib nor /etc directory)

Hmmm. What about the other config files? Are they no longer needed or
should I include them in the rootskel-gtk udeb?

I am talking about:
etc/fonts/fonts.conf
etc/fonts/local.conf
etc/fonts/fonts.dtd
etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

> - d-i_gtk_fonts.tgz contains fonts: actually they don't work and we
> must understand why (maybe fontconfig or pango related issues?)

They worked for your homemade image before, right? Could you investigate a
bit (e.g. by comparing what is in ./build/tmp/gtk-miniiso/tree with what
was in your own CD)?

> So i ask myself if it's better
>
> a)Try to make the libgtk+directfb 2.0.9.x.y udeb work to get rid of
> unneded archives immediatly and later switch to GTKDFB 2.8

I think we should spend a bit more time on this. Maybe we could get
Alastair to include a -dev package (deb, not udeb) against which we can
compile the frontend? Would that help?

> b)Stay with .tgz archives (including my libgtk+directfb libs & related
> files) until GTKDFB 2.8 is ready to be packaged

If we can not get it working otherwise, yes.

IMO, the more we can get working (including fonts) in an "official" way,
the easier it will be to make improvements, get help and check for
regressions later on.

> Anyway i'm very happy how things are going on :)

Me too. At least now things are manageable and we all know where we stand.

Cheers,
FJP