How to replace exim4 with postfix on a custom ISO

Hello debian-boot,

I've been trying to create a modified install cd that allows me to
automate server installs. I currently have a setup working, using
preseeded debconf values and some scripting (copying some configuration
files after the first stage of the installation finishes). Some problems
still remain, but I am confident that I'll find solutions to them.

One thing that I find hard to solve, however is that exim4 gets installed
by the base-installer. I could ofcourse replace exim4 with postfix after
the second stage, but that still requires me to manually configure this
and that.

I tried adding a custom repository, in which postfix is of priority
required, but this confuses the second-stage installer. I could perhaps
solve these issues, but I'd rather have the installer never install exim4
at all.

Now I am trying to replace exim4 with postfix in the installer ISO. I'm
running into some problems and I thought I'd best ask here. I've tried to
follow the instructions of the Debian Wiki [1] and regenerate the
netinstall ISO. This works, kindof.

I've removed the exim4 packages from the pool, added the postfix package
from sarge and rebuilt the package list. This has caused me some troubles,
but now seems to work. I've updated the checksums lists as well.

Now after booting (using qemu) and installing Debian, all is well, but
then the packages are being scanned and validated. Then the validator hits
exim4 and this package is obviously missing. Then the installer fails!

Can anyone explain to me what is happening? Most packages require exim4 |
mail-transfer-agent and the postfix package should satisfy that. Why does
the installer fail? Why does the installer look for exim4 anyway?

Would modifying the Packages list work? Just by removing the "exim4 |"
entries?

Or even: Is it at all possible to replace exim4 with postfix?

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Allard Hoeve

[1] http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianInstallerModify