Re: Merging partman

Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> The benefits of the many source packages instead of only one are: 1. It
> is easier for the developers to add a new component to partman - they
> can simply copy an existing package and change whatever they want. 2.
> Different partman packages have separate changelogs and this is usefull.
> 3. Different partman packages can have different maintainers.  4. It is
> easier to make third party partman-components (partman-md started as
> such a package)

Hmm, good reasons. I hadn't read Colin's mail as wanting to add a
packages/partman/debian and leave the udeb source packages split with
the partman-*/debian as-is, but I could have misunderstood it.

Don't much like the name partition-manager.deb either FWIW; users seem to
know it's called partman somehow.

> I haven't used the /usr hierarchy in partman intentionaly.  I observed
> that many other installers have a simple initrd file system that leaves
> /usr alone and then they mount on /usr (from CD) a reacher file system
> with X server in order to run the graphical stage of the installer.  I
> thought that in future we could do the same.

Well we have a lot of other stuff in /usr..

--
see shy jo