Re: rc3 status update

On Monday 07 March 2005 07:29, Christian Perrier wrote:
> OK. I'll have a look at this later. I probably need to update the
> files in packages/po in sarge from those in trunk. When I will do so,

That could mean some translation updates for packages for which _no new
version_ was released since RC2 would also make it into the Sarge branch.
I'm not sure if that is bad or not, especially as I would guess there
currently still are some unreleased translation changes in the Sarge
branch (changes that were made after RC2 for packages that were not
released again; example: baseconfig-udeb.)

The main cause of this is of course that updates for RC3 have mostly been
released from trunk. Translators have been making updates to both
branches because they wanted important translation fixes to be included
even if a new version of a package would be released from the Sarge
branch instead of from trunk.

The question for the future is: from which branch are we going to release
new versions of packages intended for Sarge?
Until now we have kept a string freeze for trunk which is why we were able
to release from trunk in the first place. Are we going to continue that?

> I'm indeed wondering about the real need of the packages/po files in
> the sarge branch.

My feeling is that it would probably be safer to drop them.
That is, _unless_ we would be willing to always release packages intended
for Sarge from the Sarge branch.
This would involve excluding any translation changes when merging
functional changes from trunk into Sarge, giving translators time to
update translations (if appropriate) in the Sarge branch afterward and
some way to test the new packages before they get into Sarge proper.
(Which gets us back to a discussion Joey started some months ago.)

Frans