Re: experimental parted in sarge ...

Congratulations all!

I, and other noobs who have no way to change bios settings but have a lot of
modern hardware back in the swim.

I just downloaded and ran the d-i form last night(tuedsay) and am writing,
to be an ass, from the windows partition.

This means that we can choose expert 26, get all our necessary wireless
drivers, and so forth, without any partitioning issues. Laptops can be a
pain,  but, with this issue solved, you have made an easy linux desktop
install a reality for a lot of people who would have been in a panic having
lost their windows.

Thanks for the immense toil, and for putting up with the newbie qvetching.

Anyone want to bet if I can make it install on my SATA desktop tonight?
(Okay, I'll be quiet as a sign of personal gratitude.)

Very best wishes,

Martin

"Sven Luther" <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:38:47AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > Thank you *very* much for your help in testing this.  This bug has been
> > thorn in our sides for some time now, and now that we have solid
> > confirmation that the new parted does fix it, we can move forward.
>
> Ok, i have uploaded both 1.6.20-1 to unstable, and 1.6.21-0.exp.1 to
> experimental, as Colin told me that he preferred to wait some before
moving to
> 1.6.21. I am not sure i 100% agree, but whatever, as long as go for the
new
> API, i am happy, and changes will be easier along the way.
>
> Anyway, there are a couple of points in the 1.6.21 Changelog which are of
much
> interest, apart from 1.6.21 obsoleting a couple of debian specific
patches. I
> think the following alone :
>
>   * libparted/linux.c (_device_probe_type): sets the type to
>     PED_DEVICE_UNKNOWN on block devices that don't fall into the
>     standard categories.  This makes libparted correctly update
>     the kernel's view of partition tables, etc.
>
> Is one which would be of interest to Anton, not sure though.
>
> Below is the full blown 1.6.21 upstream Changelog :
>
> 2005-01-16  Andrew Clausen <clausen@gnu.org>
> * released 1.6.21
>
> 2005-01-10  Sven Luther <luther@debian.org>
> * libparted/disk.c, doc/parted.texi : renamed prep-boot prep partition
name to
>   prep.
>
> 2005-01-08  Andrew Clausen <clausen@gnu.org>
> * libparted/linux.c (linux_disk_commit): if the BLKPG method fails, try
>   the BLKRRPART method.
>
> 2005-01-06  Andrew Clausen <clausen@gnu.org>
> * libparted/disk_dos.c (msdos_write): put in a unique identifier (which
>   is misleadingly called the "MBR signature" by Microsoft docs and
>   EFI specs).  Based on a patch by Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@dell.com>.
>
> 2005-01-05  Sven Luther <luther@debian.org>
> * include/parted/endian.h : fixed PED_SWAP macros missing (), since it
broke
>   on 64bit hardware as shown in the PED_CPU_TO_BE32(part ? part_num :
LINK_END)
>   code snipplet, which applied the uint32 cast to part, and not the value.
> * libparted/disk_amiga.c, libparted/fs_amiga/amiga.c : Added some uint32
casts.

> 2005-01-05  Andrew Clausen <clausen@gnu.org>
> * libparted/disk_sun.c (sun_alloc, sun_read, sun_write): fixed
>   cylinder recording stuff.  pcylcount is now 2 more, and ncyl is now
>   2 less than it was before.
> * libparted/filesys.c (ped_file_system_clobber): removed a useless
>   (always-thrown) assertion for file system support for clobbering.
>
> 2004-12-26  Harley D. Eades III  <hde@grics.net>
> * libparted/gnu.c (gnu_new): Added three new variables ro_err, rw_err and
>   ispath.  The ispath variables is set to 1 if path is indeed a path and
not a
>   store type name.  This prevents having to use strchr more then once.
Added