sarge netinst beta 3 system freeze on first install screen, laptop with SiS motherboard

Hi !

I write this because I couldn't find anything related to this elsewhere on the mailing list and topics that could
have been related weren't helpfull. (I don't know if I looked the right way though, i'm a newb on the mailing lists)

I'm trying a sarge beta 3 netinst on a Gericom Laptop :

- iintel P4 with an SiS motherboard.
- the ide controller is a SiS5513 and from what I've heard here and there, that's some tough bastard as far as
Linux is concerned.
- SiS900 ethenet  card
 .... plenty of stuff that don't seem relevant

The trouble I have occurs at boot : when the fist "choose your language" screen appears,  no keaybord key respond
in any way (and certainly not the arrows to choose the language) It's as is the system had crashed but I can't tell
if it's just a keyboard issue or a bigger one.
I tried various boot parameters but nothing worked.
I can''t read any error message anyway, so bad luck.
I hope I gave enough  information.

thanks for  any answer (even an insult pointing me to an already found answer)
(thanks also for putting Debian together, it rocks !)

Olivier

Marre des Spams ? - http://www.caramailmax.com