Re: a small problem with discover2

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:15:45PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Well, not so small. It doesn't work at all, and so d-i 2.6 installs
> basically don't work at all.
>
> Last week, I had images with the 2.6 kernel that worked fine, discover
> worked, it saw all my hardware. Today I built an image with the 2.6
> kernel, and discover fails, it sees none of my hardware. This is _after_
> I fixed hw-detect, which has also been broken in the past week, in an
> very lame way.
>
> Anyway, it looks like my working 2.6 images have a package called
> discover2-data-udeb on them, versioned 2.2003.12.30-1. They also have a
> discover2-udeb version 2.0+20031223-2.1. My non-working new 2.6 images
> have discover-udeb version 2.0.4-3 and discover-data-udeb
> 2.2004.04.09-2.
>
> The discover2-data-udeb and discover2-udeb I used before were old udebs.
> I used them by accident. discover2-udeb has since been removed from
> unstable and testing. discover2-data-udeb is still available for some
> reason.
>
> I don't know if it's relevant, but the old discover2-data-udeb put its
> data in /usr/share/discover in non-compressed xml files. The old one
> puts it in /lib/discover, in gzipped xml files.
AFAIK Jeff changed the location of the data files to make it possible to use
discover before /usr is mounted.

I suspect the problem is the gzipping of the data files. Back in december
this did not work. Thus I made the old discover2-data-udeb without
compression. Please try to uncompress the data files before running hw-detect.

Gaudenz