Re: Location list proposal [was: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?]

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:02:44PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Monday 05 April 2004 10:23, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > If someone has a better standards organisation for this issue, please
> > mention it. And, non, Microsoft is not the answer.:-)
>
> Someone mentioned looking at leading map makers (I think he mentioned the
> National Geographical Society).
> But... maps are often lagging behind a bit and have of course, especially in
> the past, been heavily influenced by political considerations in the past.
> (I am fairly sure a Chinese map won't show 'Taiwan' (and vice versa?) ;-)
[...]

Another source is the icu-data package; ICU stands for 'International
Components for Unicode' and is developed by IBM, see
  http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/
The English names for countries/regions are available at
  http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/locale/common/main/en.xml?rev=1.10&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Denis