Re: stuffit WAS: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, ...

Sven Luther wrote:
[snip]
> > > Nice link, thanks. Still, unless we have a cross compiler capable of
> > > generating mac os code, this may not be enough.
> >
> > Oh, I was under the impression that gcc would handle this, otherwise
> > there would be no packages availale for oldworld mac. Is this not the
> > case?
>
> Well, there is a misunderstanding. What is missing here is not to have
> gcc generate powerpc elf code for running in on debian gnu/linux on
> oldworld pmac hardware, but a compiler able to output code in whatever
> format was used in mac OS <10. Or a powerpc linux->macos cross
> compilerif you prefer.

Having some (C-) Program which embeds the ELF executable in whatever
format needed (and probably adds some start entry code) should be
good enough.

t-rex (part of the delo package) which creates tftp-bootable images
does something similiar, it wraps ELF bootloader, kernel and ramdisk
in an ECOFF image.

Thiemo