Re: debian-installer help wanted

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Isn't the usual problem with wireless that the drivers for most cards must
> be built from source because they aren't in the standard kernel?  Are we
> going to try to provide binary modules?

Between orinoco and orinoco_pci and a few others, the kernel actually
has reasonably good coverage. linux-wlan-ng only supports a few oddball
adaptors, and some USB ones that arn't supported by the stock kernel.
hostap doesn't support much not in the stock kernel either. Of course
this ignores all the newer stuff that has only binary module support.

> >     We still need more people testing d-i on more strange and wonderful
> >     hardware. See http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer for details.
>
> Is there any hardware that particularly needs testing?

We don't have as good a handle on what hardware has worked as we can, so
pretty much anything that's not in the top 75% of most common hardware.

--
see shy jo