Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:11:24PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> not really enthusiast about this for the following reasons

> -one more question asked to users

What is really annoying is being asked information when it's not really
necessary, not being asked two questions when two pieces of informations
(language, country) are needed.

> -confusion about country : which country ? The one you live in, the
> one to use for choowing keyboard and mirror ?
> -confusion about locale settings resulting from this choice.

Then make it explicit in the debconf template :-P

> (snip the proposed improvement)
> Folks, please react to this. I know this is not a highly techical
> issue, but this is probably an important issue anyway....

To be honest I never liked being asked the language and country at the
same time. As a consequence, the way I'd see it is :
    - Choose language without country.
    - Choose country (try to explain briefly what it'll be used for in
      the template): list countries which are supported along with the
      chosen language, plus "Other".
    - If "other" is chosen, show a complete list of countries. Warn
      about the consequences of an unsupported locale.
(everything's priority "high" here, maybe ask the country only at medium).

Then ask keyboard and mirror with guessed defaults, and lower the mirror
question's priority to medium so we're not bothered. (i mean, don't do
complicated things.)

Also, what about adding the C and POSIX locales somehow ?

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>