Re: Re: ntfs resize and gtk frontends

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:43:33PM +0100, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 16:14, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, first, i have no intention to do so myself too, but it would be
> > > nice if you could give us an estimation of the work needed to move the
> > > resize code to libntfs ?
>
> It isn't only about just moving the code to libntfs (I answered this some
> month ago on bug-parted) but

Yep, but it is the necessary step to have do the libparted side of
things.

> 	- make it work with parted
>
> 	- revise parted code
>
> 	- test a lot with parted
>
> 	- make sure it won't break in the future
>
> Just see the reiserfs integration, a lot of people destroyed their fs.
> Why? Reiserfs bugs? Parted bugs? QTParted bugs? I really don't know.

I have the impression that it was because libreiserfs behavior changed
somehow, and that libparted was adapted only later.

> In short, a hack could be done in days, a proper integration could take
> weeks.
>
> However nobody has enough/much/any free time.

As always.

> > > I think some libparted guys where also interested by this.
>
> I'm afraid that was me :) But I'm not a libparted guy. There are things I
> don't like in Parted but I agree it would be very useful for many people.

I am interested by your opinion, what is it in parted that you dislike
and why ?

I personaly am a bit disapointed by the code quality of
parted/libparted, and have been toying in doing a reimplmentation in
ocaml, with maybe some coq-based prooves of good behavior, and having
coq generate the corresponding code afterward. But i lack some time for
this, and am not sure an ocaml-based libparted reimplementation would be
welcome. Especially in the debian-installer case.

BTW, the main problem of parted/libparted right now, is that there is no
CVS repository of it, and that the code has been mostly unavailable
since may 2003 or so.

Friendly,

Sven Luther