discover Debian package maintainer

Hi

The purpose of this mail is to inform discover-workers of the plans the
debian-installer team has for discover2 and to give you the possibility
to object to out plans.

Current state of discover2 in Debian:
I have packaged an udeb only version of discover2 which is in the
archive now. This package has successfully built on all autobuilders
except mips, mipsel and m68k. It is intended for testing discover2 with
the new installer.

Further plans:
I discussed the future of the discover2 package with pere yesterday. We
plan to upload a full version of discover2 (including deb packages). It
is not our intent to hijack your package. However, considering that
there was no packaging effort done in the last months, we are under the
impression, that you are no longer interested in maintaining this
package. So we would like to completely takeover the maintenance of
discover2.
If our impression is wrong and you are still interested in maintaining
discover2 then please speak up now and provide finished packages in the
near future.

If we take over the maintenance of discover2 we plan to do the following
(IRC excerpt):
17:25 <      pere> Currently, we have two packages: discover (building
          discover and discover-udeb), and discover2 (building
          discover2-udeb).  If we change this to discover1 (building
          discover1 and discover-udeb), and discover (building discover
          and discover2-udeb).
17:26 <      pere> then we can test discover (version 2) in Sid, while
          still using discover-udeb (version 1) in d-i.
17:29 <      pere> Besides, the discover version 2 package is slightly
          tested already, and seem to return correct info.

With this plan we can get wider testing for discover2 in sid and still
have discover1 packages as a fall back option and for sarge if it will
be released before discover2 is ready.

Gaudenz