uname -a: n/a
Date: 2004-01-11 21:00
Method: CD boot via SRM console
Machine: Microway AlphaPC 164SX
Processor: Alpha 21164 533 MHz
Memory: 384MB
Root Device: /dev/hda4
Root Size/partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 10.2 GB, 10262568960 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19885 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

4 partitions:
#       start       end      size     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:        2        24        23       ext2
  b:       25        98        74       swap
  c:       99       753       655       ext2
  d:      754      1247       494       ext2

Output of lspci:
00:05.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:05.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:05.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
00:08.0 ISA bridge: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.1 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.2 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.3 USB Controller: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2164W [Millennium II]

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [E]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [E]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

Network HW detection failed because the only ethernet card I could put
in the box is an Ether Express Pro ISA card. ;)  The tulip card usually
in this box doesn't work because of known problems with PCI bridges in
the 2.4.22/23 kernel series on alpha.  A 3C905 that I threw in the box
also failed with (presumably unrelated) IRQ errors.  The eepro card
worked fine, but required inappropriate amounts of fiddling; strangely,
even though I've gotten myself into that mode in the installer before,
even by changing the debconf priority to low from main-menu I was never
given the option to specify parameters for this module.  Finally did an
'insmod eepro autodetect=1' from tty2 and went from there.

Everything else ran smoothly at DEBCONF_PRIORITY=high.  When I was asked
to confirm for rebooting, I cancelled to go back and grab
aboot-installer with floppy-retriever -- floppy-retriever is slick! --
and installed the bootloader.  This worked fine, so I think
aboot-installer is just about ready for uploading once I add a little
better error-handling code to it.

Upon rebooting, aboot showed the correct config and loaded both kernel
and initrd just fine -- but the initrd got itself stuck in some kind of
infinite loop.  Examination of the initrd shows that somehow,
/sbin/init is filled with nulls!  Not exactly what I was expecting from
mkinitrd.  I'll try to figure out what's going wrong here, but it looks
like it's probably not a problem with the installer itself.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer